Calumet Medical Center

In 1956, Calumet County opened Calumet Memorial Hospital, later renamed Calumet Medical Center, in Chilton as a secular, not-for-profit facility. The hospital’s mission was to provide local residents with quality, cost-effective patient care. The 36-bed hospital included emergency, surgical, medical, pediatric and obstetrical services, plus a 10-bassinet nursery.

 

Growth and Expansion

As the community changed and grew, so did Calumet Medical Center. In 1964, the hospital expanded to 60 beds and raised funds to expand surgical services, physical therapy, radiology and pathology services and supporting departments.

In 1978, the hospital added its first doctors’ office clinic. The clinic had seven doctors and served as a recruiting tool to attract doctors to the hospital.

Calumet Medical Center implemented Home Health Service in 1984 to provide patients with alternative types and levels of care in their homes. That year, the hospital completed a second addition, which included an expanded radiology department, emergency room, patient waiting and reception areas and a remodeled laboratory.

In response to a growing need for around-the-clock emergency care, the Calumet Medical Center emergency room added 24-hour staffing in 1989.

The 1990s were a time of rapid change for Calumet Medical Center. A building project in 1991 provided space for the Children’s Day Care Center, with room for more than 100 children, as well as doctors’ offices and expanded cardiac rehabilitation services.

In 1994, Calumet Medical Center constructed its third addition, which expanded radiology services, the surgical suite, outpatient clinic services and rehabilitation services. The following year, Calumet Medical Center’s ambulance service became the first and only county-based paramedic-certified ambulance service.

To serve terminally ill patients in the comfort of their homes, Calumet Medical Center launched a hospice service in 1996. The same year, the hospital received accreditation from the Joint Commission of Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.

In 1998, Calumet Medical Center created the Calumet Area Community Health Foundation (CACHF) to promote health education in the community.

Calumet Medical Center and Affinity

In 1998, Calumet Medical Center joined forces with Affinity Health System. The partnership gave Calumet Medical Center’s patients and medical providers access to all the advantages and resources of Affinity Health System. To accommodate Affinity Health System-employed doctors, Affinity Medical Group built a second medical office building at Calumet Medical Center.

In 2001, Calumet Medical Center earned the designation of Critical Access Hospital, a program that helps a rural hospital match its capabilities to the needs of its community and offers the potential for enhanced Medicare reimbursement.

Looking Ahead

Calumet Medical Center’s commitment to the Chilton community continues. A new renovation of the hospital began in 2006. Changes include enhancements to outpatient services, emergency services and the radiology department. Technology changes will include improved patient privacy, electronic information sharing, computerized imaging and telemedicine opportunities. Calumet Medical Center continues to support its mission and the mission of Affinity Health System. The hospital evolves and adapts to changes in health care and strives to be a leader in the health care industry.

Contact Us

1506 S. Oneida St
Appleton, WI 54915
(920) 738-2000

Connect With Us


Copyright © 2017 Affinity Health System. All Rights Reserved