Directions on preparation for a pulmonary function test.
Pulmonary function tests are used to diagnose lung diseases and to assess the status of established lung diagnoses. Generally, you as the patient should follow the guidelines below unless specifically advised otherwise by your doctor or nurse.
Instructions for pulmonary function tests (PFT’s)
* No smoking on the day of the test
* Fasting is not necessary, but avoid eating a large meal prior to the test
First Time Diagnostic Spirometry testing
* DO NOT use bronchodilators on the day of the test. Examples of some bronchodilators include: Proventil, Albuterol, Ventolin, Maxair, Serevent, Foradil, Proair,Primatene mist.
Follow-up Spirometry testing
*Continue using respiratory medications as usual.
Methacholine Challenge/Exercise Bronchoprovacation Testing
(Breathing test used to assess the presence of hyperactive airways-asthma using an inhaled agent or exercise to challenge the airways)
* Avoid smoking and ingestion of coffee, cola or chocolate drinks for at least 6 hours prior to testing.
* Hold inhaled steroids and theophylline for 5 days prior to testing. Examples of inhaled steroids
include: Advair, Flovent, Azmacort, Aerobid, Pulmicort, Asmanex, QVAR
* Do not use bronchodilators on the day of the test (see paragraph above for examples).
* Do not exercise on the day of your test
Exercise oximetry and bronchoprovacation testing
(Walking test to assess oxygen levels in the blood with exercise)
* Wear comfortable walking shoes
Diffusion capacity testing (DLCO)
* A hemoglobin lab test may be drawn if there hasn’t been one done in previous 2 months to exclude anemia which may affect the test results.
**You may drive yourself home upon completion of ALL of the above testing**