How You Can Be Part of the Green Movement
Caring for the Earth together
We all know to turn off the water while we brush our teeth and to recycle paper and plastics, but there are many more ways to help protect our environment. Most of our tips can be started today and are affordable. We encourage you to take each day and find news ways to preserve our tomorrows.
Tips for your home
- Grow a garden.
- Eat leftovers.
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products and fertilizers.
- Going shopping? Bring your own canvas bags.
- Take a shorter shower: By shaving off two minutes from your shower, you will save more than 10 gallons of water.
- Use a bar soap versus a liquid soap. You’ll produce less waste and save cash!
- Install ceiling fans and use them instead of air conditioning.
Tips for at work
- Carpool or use public transportation to get to work.
- Use reusable containers for lunch rather than disposable bags, containers and plastic utensils.
- Think twice before you print. Most correspondence and documents can be saved electronically. If you do need to print, choose the double-sided printing option in the printer settings.
- Recycle phonebooks: Phonebooks account for up to 10 percent of all waste in landfills!
Tips for your community
- Support environmental education at your local school. Talk with educators and support funding for education programs.
- Plant or supply trees for local parks and playgrounds.
- Use public transportation. You’ll help minimize congestion in city centers and show support for a public program.
- Contact your local and national representatives and voice your concerns about the environment.