Dr. M.E. Corbett - Student Version
Dr. M. E. Corbett was one of the first surgeons in Oshkosh. He bought a building on the corner of Washington Avenue and Hazel Street. He called it Lakeside Sanatorium.
In 1895, Dr. Corbett worked at St. Mary's Hospital in Oshkosh. In 1912, he started a new hospital on Hazel Street. The hospital was near Menominee Park and Lake Winnebago. Dr. Corbett called it Lakeside Hospital. He bought many expensive doctor's tools and furniture. He wanted Lakeside Hospital to be better than St. Mary's Hospital. Soon he spent all of his money. He did not have enough money left to keep Lakeside Hospital in good shape.
In 1918, the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mothers bought Lakeside Hospital. They gave it a new name: Mercy Hospital.