Why robotic surgery?
Enhanced precision, faster recovery from surgery
Compared to other minimally invasive procedures, robotic surgery offers advanced benefits. The instruments are smaller and more and adaptable than routine laparoscopic tools. The robot allows surgeons greater precision and an increased range of motion, enhancing the surgeon’s capabilities to perform delicate procedures.
Like other laparoscopic procedures at St. Elizabeth Hospital and Mercy Medical Center, robotic surgery:
- is performed through smaller incisions (compared to traditional surgery), called operating ports
- uses scopes to capture accurate, real-time images of the inner body during surgery
- causes less bleeding and stress on the body
- minimizes pain and discomfort following surgery
- usually means a shorter recovery; many patients go home the same day.
For more information, talk to your physician about the benefits of robotic surgery.