Gait Analysis Program (GAP)
Foot up on the competition
Be the best runner you can be. Through our Gait Analysis Program (GAP), licensed athletic trainers evaluate an athlete's running form, providing feedback on ways to improve form and prevent injuries. The program is supervised and supported by Affinity's team of orthopaedic doctors.
The Gait Analysis program can benefit:
- high school or college athletes
- recreational runners
- long distance runners
- anyone engaging in physical activity that places stress on the feet.
GAP can prevent injuries and improve injury symptoms. Gait analysis helps athletes with previous injuries or those beginning a new training regimen. The program can prevent or alleviate common injuries such as:
- shin splints
- patellar tendinitis
- muscle strains and bursitis
- IT band tendinitis
- lower back pain.
How the Program Works
GAP provides an initial evaluation as well as a follow-up evaluation to determine progress and monitor changes.
- Injury History - Training History: We'll talk about your previous medical history and your current level of training.
- Anatomical Analysis: We examine your foot type, knee and hip anatomy and shoe wear patterns to assess abnormal running types such as over-pronation and supination.
- Strength Analysis: We assess ankle, knee and hip strength to discover any imbalances or weaknesses.
- Flexibility Analysis: We assess ankle, knee and hip flexibility to determine any need to improve the range of motion.
- Balance Analysis: We evaluate static (standing) and dynamic (active) balance to identify any deficiencies.
- Video Biomechanical Running Analysis: While running on a treadmill, your foot strike and running form are recorded. We use slow-motion playback to help visualize the full running form from heel strike to toe-off.
Once the evaluation is complete, you can opt to receive additional medical advice or treatments, including:
- fully edited DVD copy of running form
- strengthening and stretching programs
- training program suggestions
- information and access to arch supports and orthotics.
Gap package offers anatomical, strength, balance shoe wear and running analysis on a treadmill. Also receive a personalized DVD featuring your running style. The video is unique to each athlete's analysis and can be shown to a coach or kept for comparison. A follow-up appointment is included.
Our coaching session offers an additional follow-up or coaching session which can be purchased for $25. This can be used to monitor progress, provide biofeedback on biomechanics and ensure you are performing your exercises regularly and correctly.
What to Bring
When coming in for an evaluation, please be prepared for activity and bring the following:
- athletic clothes (t-shirt and shorts)
- normal running shoes
- training and injury history, if applicable.
Evaluation (initial and one follow-up appointment) - $120
Coaching session - $30
To schedule an appointment, call (920) 223-7075.
The Gait Analysis program was designed by Joseph Fox, MS, LAT, who studied biomechanical analysis and kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin Madison. For program information, please contact Joe at firstname.lastname@example.org.